Press and news resources from JWEMC.
March 18, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Joe Wheeler EMC 2020 Annual Meeting Notice
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Alters Joe Wheeler EMC's 2020 Annual Meeting
Out of an abundance of caution for our members and employees, the Joe Wheeler EMC Board of Trustees held an emergency meeting to review options for the upcoming 2020 Annual Meeting. It was decided that this year, Joe Wheeler EMC would not hold the public portion of our annual meeting. This was not an easy decision as preparations are already well underway. However, in following with CDC and State Health Official's guidelines, the Board and Management felt the most prudent course of action was to cancel that part of the meeting.
The Board election will still take place by mail, with a short period for in-person voting to take place on April 11, from 9 am until 10 am. We are encouraging everyone to vote by mail ballot if at all possible, to reduce the chances of being in contact with someone carrying the COVID-19 virus. If you do choose to vote in-person on April 11, please note that only the account holder will be allowed in to cast a ballot.
All members who vote will still be eligible for prize drawings and will be notified soon after the meeting. We will not be giving out door prizes, or registration gifts this year. We will also not be providing lunch and there will be no entertainment as we have had in the past.
We will be broadcasting a Facebook Live event to announce the election results and give a brief update of the cooperative. We will also use this broadcast to draw for the voting prizes.
We hope all of our members will still cast their ballots and take part in what makes the cooperative model truly unique. It's times like this when it's comforting to know we're all coming together to make our communities better. Thank you for your understanding.
- Voting for the JWEMC Board of Trustees will still take place.
- While we are strongly encouraging everyone to vote by mail, there will be in-person voting for one hour, 9 am to 10 am on April 11.
- Only the voting member will be allowed in to vote.
- There will be no registration or door prizes.
- There will be no entertainment.
- There will be no food served.
Joe Wheeler EMC takes steps to protect against COVID-19
At Joe Wheeler EMC, the wellbeing of our members is our top priority. Whether it's ensuring the reliability of your electricity needs or the health of our members during the current outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19), you can rest assured we are constantly monitoring the situation and making adjustments as necessary.
With this in mind, JWEMC is implementing the following steps:
- Beginning Wednesday, March 18, we will be closing the lobbies of all Joe Wheeler EMC offices to the public. This is being done to limit the potential exposure of both our members and JWEMC employees to the COVID-19 virus. Payments will be accepted through one of the following methods:
- Online - www.jwemc.coop - click on the "Online Bill Pay" button at the top right corner or scroll down to the "Pay Online" box.
- JWEMC Mobile App - If you have set this up you can make payments through the app. If not, you must first establish an online bill pay account before you will be able to use this method of payment.
- By Telephone - call 256-552-2300 - Press 3 to make a payment.
- Payment Kiosk - These are located in the foyer of all three of our offices and are available 24 hours a day. You can make payments at the kiosk using cash, checks, credit cards, or debit cards.
- Drive Through Windows - The drive-through windows at our Hartselle and Moulton office will remain open during regular business hours (7:30 am to 4:30 pm).
- Night Deposit - Members can drop payments in our night deposit boxes, located at the Hartselle and Moulton offices, at any time. We will check the night deposits routinely throughout the day during regular business hours and update your account accordingly.
- Mail - You can mail your payment to:
Joe Wheeler EMC
P.O. Box 2153
Birmingham, AL 35287-1340
- Automatic payments - Many of you have already set up automatic payments and will not have to make any changes. If you would like to set up bank draft on your account, please contact a CSR.
During this time our Customer Service Reps will still be able to assist members for normal business operations via telephone, including setting up a new service. For any transactions requiring an official ID, an email address has been set up for customers to send required documents. This email address can be used to send text or emails.
All of us here at JWEMC realize the hardships recent events may cause some of our members. With these in mind, Joe Wheeler EMC will be suspending disconnections for non-payment for a period of four weeks, starting Wednesday, March 18 until April 15. Members will still be responsible for any fees and usage charges incurred and late charges will still apply to accounts if paid after the due date. If you anticipate having trouble making a payment, please contact us at 256-552-2300 so we can help set up a plan to get you back on track.
The Board, management, and employees of Joe Wheeler EMC would like to ensure every one of our members that our number one priority is making sure the lights stay on. During these uncertain times, you can rest assured that the power will still flow to your homes as you have come to expect. The measures we have outlined above, along with other internal steps, are in accordance with CDC guidelines and help us minimize the risk of contracting and spreading the COVID-19 virus within our communities. Thank you for your understanding and patience during these trying times.
For updates and information, please:
• Follow us on Facebook: Joe Wheeler EMC
• Follow us on Twitter: @JWEMC
For logos, pictures, and art affiliated with JWEMC, please contact the Director of Communications